Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Here we go again ...


“Oh no…no, no, no!” That was my reaction immediately following the Ron Artest/Metta (no) World Peace’s elbow connection with James Harden’s head Sunday during the Lakers game. Being a Lakers fan (and general Metta World Peace) fan at that moment put me in quite a bind. On one hand, I genuinely like Metta World Peace…or Ron Artest…whichever name he’s going by at this time. On the other hand, he knows he’s working with two strikes already against him.

Metta makes me feel like I’m back teaching. The same way I felt about a kid who obviously had “good” in him and you were really pulling for him to walk the straight and narrow. When Metta threw that elbow, I knew he’d drawn a line in the sand for observers.

I don’t think Metta acted with the intent to injure Harden…I think he suffers from the same lack of impulse control that afflicts most of us sports fans. Adrenaline causes people to behave inexplicably. Even though Metta is on my team, I can’t exonerate him from all culpability. It seemed to me that Metta intended to clear some space between himself and James Harden. I don’t think he intended to clear space using Harden’s head as punching bag.

Some people think the brouhaha surrounding this is ridiculous. I don’t. Some think this isn’t a big deal. I disagree there, too. Some people think the media is pumping this story up without a good reason. I think the media is well within their right. 

Unequivocally, nobody ever wants to see a repeat of the Malice in the Palace. But the aftermath of that brawl is going to follow Ron Artest (and whatever incarnation he takes) for the rest of his career, if not the rest of his life. It’s definitely going to impact the suspension that is sure to be handed down by the league.

For those who think Artest’s history should have nothing to do with how the Sunday incident is viewed--I think it’s irresponsible for me to agree.


2 comments:

  1. While I completely agree with everything you said, I have to ask, what the hell was James Harden doing there?

    I'm certainly not saying that he was asking for a vicious blow to the head or a concussion but he certainly had no business being that close to Weird Peace. Artest's dunk was a huge momentum shift and brought the Lakers to within one point before the half. Artest was celebrating to pump up himself and the crowd. When I watch that play again I can't help but recognize that Harden is intentionally trying to break up the celebration and put a stop to the Laker momentum. Artest is trying to get back on defense, I don't see why Harden would be body to body with him accept to say "that's enough celebrating."

    Again, does this excuse Artest's actions? Not in the least. It was a disgusting play that can't be condoned in the league. But in a very Reggie Miller kind of way, Harden was able to get the best of Artest by provoking an extreme reaction.

    ReplyDelete